Thursday, October 4, 2012

Jamaican-Me-Crazy Chicken Chili (or Fair and Delightsome Chicken Chili as Emily calls it)


When it looks like THIS outside...

That means it's time to bring THIS INSIDE...  


This is my invention and is now an "AWARD WINNING" recipe (about the only one I can say has won an award - and the award was "hottest chili" which isn't true - so I'm not sure I should brag - but hey! it was an award!!!)

whole chicken (no giblets or innards)
chicken stock (or water mixed with chicken base) to cover chicken
3-4 large stems of thyme
2-3  stems of rosemary
2 TABLESPOONS (true - it seems a lot but true) allspice
1 large onion largely chopped
3 cloves garlic
1-2 large dried Anaheim chili peppers
several smaller (hotter) chili peppers to your taste 
1 pound cooked white northern beans
2 cups heavy cream


Begin by cooking a whole chicken in your crockpot, pressure cooker, or a large stockpot on the stove with fresh thyme, rosemary, and allspice (I like to buy it whole and crush it with a meat mallet in a ziplock so it's fresh) onion, garlic, peppers, and chicken base.

When your chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pot and let it sit until it is cool enough to bone.  In the meantime remove the stems of thyme and rosemary as well as most of the chili peppers.  Use an immersion blender to blend the garlic, onion, spices and peppers together better.  Next, add your cooked beans (I cook my own beans and add garlic and allspice to them so that they have more of those flavors saturated into the actually bean).  Bone your chicken, then add the bite-sized pieces of chicken and stir.  Just before serving add your cream and any salt, and heat you may want to the chili.  

Our WHOLE family eats this dinner - and I have some SERIOUSLY picky children, so you KNOW it's good.  We love this chili with fresh herb bread.  I am actually making myself hungry!  Time for lunch...




1 comment:

  1. Two CUPS of cream? Now I know why I dream about this stuff at night! This chili is deserving of accolades far more flattering than "hottest chili." I give it my official "I want that" (a la Napolean Dynamite) award.

    ReplyDelete